TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR PARENTS
OF CHILDREN WITH A DISABILTY
1. Take one day at a time, take that day positively.
You dont have control over the future, but
you have control over today.
2. Never underestimate your childs potential, allow them,
encourage them, expect them to develop the best of their
3. Find and allow positive mentors; parents & professionals
who share with you their experience, advice and support.
4 Provide and be involved with the most appropriate
educational and learning environments for your child
from an early age.
5. Keep in mind the feelings and needs of your spouse
and your other children. Remind them that this child
doesnt get more of your love, just because they get
more of your time.
6. Answer only to your conscience, then you will be able to
answer to your child. You dont need to justify your actions
to your friends or the public.
7. Be honest with your feelings. You cant be super-parent 24
hours a day. Allow yourself jealousy, anger,pity, frustration
and depression in small amounts whenever necessary.
8. Be kind to yourself. Dont focus continually on what needs
to be done. Remember look at what you have accomplished.
9. Stop and smell the roses. Take advantage of the fact that
you have gained a special appreciation for the little miracles
in life that others take for granted.
10. Keep and use a sense of humour. Cracking up with laughter
can keep you from cracking up from stress.
Modifications & Design managed by Merlino Nominees Pty Ltd
This site is © Copyright www.dravetsyndrome.com All Rights Reserved
18 March, 2010 18:48